Removing spurs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DuckWhisperer06, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    What is the best way to remove spurs from a cockerel?

Our roughly 8 month old cockerel is starting to grow his spurs. We only have 4 pullets (all laying) so he’s pretty rough with all of them. His spurs aren’t very long but they’re pretty wide or ‘thick’, so I’m sure they’ll grow to be pretty long. The spurs are also becoming pretty sharp.

I was considering the potato method, but it doesn’t remove the entire spur.

Do I even need to remove the entire spur?

2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

You don't have to remove the whole thing, here guillotine nail clippers like are used for dog nails are used to remove the pointy tip only.
    If he's tearing up your girls his toenails are likely the bigger issue, same process just nip the tips.:)

3. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Yeah, if you do it, only nip the tips. I once tried cutting off maybe half of it, and that was a bad idea. It ended up hurting the rooster because there's blood that flows in it and i got too far up.

DuckWhisperer06 likes this.
  4. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    Will the potato method still work?

I figured the potato part will ‘reduce’ the spur as far as size goes then I could just trim the ends while it’s soft.
    w

5. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I don't quite follow. The potato method removes the spur's outer casing leaving an exposed meaty quick. The spur will grow back just as big. There isn't any trimming while it is soft you'd be cutting meat.

6. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    Oh, I guess I didn’t understand either.

I didn’t realize what was left after the casing was removed was ‘meat’. :confused:

7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    An animal's claw, including a rooster's spur, is a fleshy live part with a hard, fingernail-like layer over it. You want to cut only the fingernail part, or it causes them pain and bleeds. I sincerely doubt the potato method is comfortable for them.

Just cut the ends off his spurs, and trim again when you see them getting sharper. You can also get something like a little rubber cork and fasten it onto the end of each one.

8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    You don't need to cut anything. Roosters are meant to have spurs.
    Take him off his perch at night. Wrap him in a towel if he won't be calm so that his spurs are visible.
    Get a nail file and file the tip smooth and any rough edges along the spur.
    Do the same for his toenails. You don't need to cut, just file them smooth.

9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I should clarify; when I say cut the ends off, I mean like you'd do with a cat's claws. The very, very tips, just enough that the end is blunt instead of pointy now. Filing it smooth is also good. Don't go lopping the spurs off.

Chickassan and DuckWhisperer06 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: