removing spurs...?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hchorselover, Nov 5, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    My friend is getting some Jersey Giants this December (full grown) and since I have chickens she has been asking me for a LOT of advice. Which I LOVE having somebody to talk chicken with but today she asked me (well actually her mom did) if it would be okay to remove the spurs because she is afraid it would spur them and I honestly had no clue because my rooster doesn't have spurs yet. So I decided to ask y'all [​IMG] ... Is it okay to remove them? Will it hurt them? If not what is the best way? Also if someone has owned Jersey Giants please tell me if they are nice or not because I have the impression that they are nice and it might not even be necessary to remove them.

Thanks <3

2. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    anyone?

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Yes you can remove them if they are really long.go to youtube and search rooster spur and watch a few videos.it looks pretty easy and doesn't seem to hurt them.they kinda pop right off in the videos...
    Hope this helps and good luck

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    You can do the twist and pull method, which will apparently bleed a little. Some say that it doesn't hurt them. Frankly, I believe chickens don't show pain the same way we do, so I think it does, you be the judge. You can also use a Dremel tool to file it down or you can leave it and just not take any nonsense from your roosters. Last one is my planned method, as our roos spurs are not completely in yet.

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Search the potatoe method on you tube! It looks quick and easy!

6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I trim the spurs on mine with my dog's nail trimmer, it's not the guillotine type, more like rounded scissors. If the nail is dark, I use a flashlight behind the nail so I don't get the quick. I have even had to trim a few of my cochin hen's spurs that get really long. I have two that started curling around and was digging into their leg. They get a trim once a year to keep it manageable.

7. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    THIS I KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT [​IMG] I SAW THE VEIDO ON U-TUBE ABOUT REMOVEING THE SPURS WITH THE PILLER ,TWIST.PULL.. YES IT WORKS!! I HAVE A ROO ABOUT 6 YEARS OLD. HE HAD LONG SPURS ,I HAD TRIMED THEM EVERY WAY YOU COULD IMAGINE. BUT MY POOR HENS LOOK SO BAD BECAUSE OF HIS SPURS,I DID WANT TO CULL HIM .IT HARD TO FIND A FRIENDLY ROOSTER.
    SO I DID THE PILLER TWIST PULL METHOD.AND IT WORKED GREAT .I WAS A NERVOUS RECK DID NOT WANT TO HURT HIM HE DID GREAT, AND I FELT RELIVED!! I DID PUT BLUE COAT ON THEM. YES THEIR IS A LITTLE BLOOD SO DO IT AT NIGHT AND USE THE BLUE COAT SO NO ONE CAN SEE THE BLOOD. IF YOU WANT PUT HIM IN A PEN FOR A DAY THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD THING. BUT I WILL FROM NOW ON DO THIS. LONG SPURS NO MORE!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by