removing vinyl tiles off wooden floor?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Aug 31, 2010.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok...i just realized that our kitchen has wooden floors underneath the ugly and cracked vinyl floor tiles that were put in place god knows how long ago. my plan is to take them up, sand and clean the floor a bit and then paint them and put some polyurethane over it all. its going ok, im getting the tiles up but its leaving black adhesive in its place..how do i get it up?? its black, sticky and it doesnt seem to be coming up at all.
    [​IMG]

http://materialgirlsblog.com/newyork/files/2010/05/blue-painted-floor.jpg

this is kind of how i want it to look, except a really dark blue.

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Good luck. We tried various solvents and nothing worked. We put luan down to level the floor then I put new Vinly Tiles down. I like to change out the tiles every 5 years or so to change the look.

Talk to Lowes or Home Depoe. Maybe sand, walk around on it for a few months then maybe it will scrape off. I'm serious, some of that stuff is horrible.

Good luck.

3. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    [​IMG] my husbands gonna kill me then because ive taken up a good chunk of them!

[​IMG]

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    vinegar

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hmm..i will try that. also, my husband said to use turpentine..we will see!
    i have a feeling that this is a lot more work than i thought but since ive started, i can go back!

6. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    I use a product called OOPS on projects like that. Works like a charm and you can get it at any hardware store. It removes everything!

7. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    I don't want to put a damper on your plans, but often a floor is covered up with stick-on tiles because it has faults. I am worried that you will spend a big chunk of time and effort to find out it is patched up with plywood in a couple spots. Unless you are sure about all of what is underneath, you might want to think about going overtop with new flooring instead.

8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh, i thought of that but luckily, the tile is all worn through enough you can see the grooves of the wood [​IMG] [​IMG]
    if there happens to be some bad areas..well..ill figure it out!
    [​IMG]

9. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    goo gone??

10. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Quote:Oh good! My late husband installed hardwood flooring and did some reinstallations of old gym flooring (with the painted lines); he just used his large sander with a heavy grit to get the surface off and even it out. When you get enough tile goo off, you could rent a machine to sand off the rest.

And the pic of the floor is really nice, it should turn out well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by