1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Renewing our Chicken Love!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by graygiant, May 27, 2016.

1. graygiant

graygiant Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Hi everyone! Our family is eagerly awaiting the hatching of baby chicks in my daughter's 1st grade class! I tried to avoid caving in to my emotions, but I love, love, love chickens! We all do!

We bought 12 chicks at our local farm store several years ago--2 of them were roosters. They were Rhode Island Reds and we were very hands-on while rearing them. What a joy they were! We managed to re-home all but 2 of the hens and eventually, they stayed living in Grandma's barn, laying their eggs happily in Grandpa's boat every day.

We have no idea yet what breed our new babies are and we will for sure adopt 2 of them, maybe 4. We're waiting to see if other families will help adopt them. If not, we certainly will make room for them with us as we wouldn't want them to meet a less than desirable fate.

I discovere Backyard Chickens through a Google search as I was refreshing my memory on multiple aspects of chick care and general layer keeping.

We raise Jacob sheep, but only have 5 right now as our space is not adequate for more large animals. We utilize the wool for spinning and needle felting and these 5 sheep are considered pets.

We have wanted to have chickens again for a couple years now. Store bought eggs are disgusting these days and the way the hens are treated is even more awful. We prefer to raise our own food whenever possible and our animals are treated with dignity and kindness. We also adore the crazy antics of chickens and all their habits!

I've seen some very thorough and helpful information here already and look forward to lots more!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us and i hope that you enjoy your impending chicken-keeping renaissance.

Best wishes

CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Hope they have a good hatch in the classroom :fl Seeing the chick hatch from the egg sure is an amazing experience and one that ever gets boring!! Very addictive if you ask me!! The learning centre is a fab place to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It sure has everything there that will refresh you. It's so nice you are taking some in, let's hope some others adopt them too.

You might also like to pop over to the other livestock section too for chat about your sheep ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-amp-livestock

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. graygiant

graygiant Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcomes!

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :thumbsup

9. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC glad you could join us.:woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by