1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

renovation in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CKMom, Sep 9, 2009.

1. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    DH did some renovation in the coop this weekend. He added nest boxes, which the 18 wk olds are avoiding for now. He also added the pop door, which they have adjusted to. Our roost was a bit too short , so he made it longer (6 ft)and added a dropping board, thinking that all 15 birds could now roost across without worring about falling off the end.
    Went out tonight to close the pop door, and they were making a fuss. I looked in and found them all huddled up on only half the roost, and the end pullet hanging on for dear life. The rooster was resting on the dropping board under all the others.
    Will they rearrange themselves or have we upset their living room too much?

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm a bit stumped. They should adjust eventually I would think. Hopefully others with a similar experience will answer. I don't know what to make of that rooster though! He's gonna get icky! [​IMG]

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I suspect they'll sort it out. Chickens don't like change and it can take them awhile to settle down!

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol funny description! they will adjust give them 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by