renovations question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by minister man, Jun 18, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    We have a 4'x4' chicken coop that is 4 ' high in the back and 5 feet high in the front. There is a door in the 5 foot front, and a window in the front as well, that is covered in winter, and wire in summer. I want to put a floor in it at the 2 foot high mark, making it into a "2 story" Breeding coop for silkies. I know I would have to put a low window in it for the bottom pen, that I could remeove and leave covered with wire in the summer, but what else would I have to do to keep them well enough ventilated. I am thinking that they would be housing a trio or quad of silkies. Oh yeah on one side of the coop there is a "Cupboard shaped thing that that holds the feed water and nests so they don't take up floor space. what else would I have to do to such a building to make it work as a 2 story breeding pen?

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    its hard to say without seeing it. What kind of winter do you have (what part of the country?). Is there any ventilation in the winter? There really should be. Being two story, can the birds move between the two or are they seperate? If seperate, they each should be vented. You want ventilation without direct breeze/draft, especially in the winter.

3. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I wouldn't want the birds going from one pen to the other. My idea is that it would be a Rolling mating with one breeding pen upstairs and one breeding pen down. I live in atlantic Canada. It can get down to about -30 in winter. I will try to get some pictures of it and post them maybe tomorrow it is raining too hard right now. The building is soild all the way around, ect on the front. The front is divided into half with a 2 foot door on the left and a window on the right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by