1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Rent a Rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dasher, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dasher

dasher Out Of The Brooder

Grass Valley, Ca., is the area, anyone with a special good looking rooster?? I have 4 lovely Buff Orpingtons who are looking for a date.. Rooster owner gets pick of the litter.
    Dasher

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Ohhh honey, I think you mean Rooster.
    I was going to say, rent a roaster? How would you give it back after you had it for dinner?!

3. Thanks for the giggle! What state are you in?

Oh and [​IMG]

4. chickenred

chickenred Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Planet earth
    oh, haha. I was wondering, Roaster? you mean rooster! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    oh, rooster.... I was very confused [​IMG]

6. dasher

Wow you guys I should have checked my spelling. But my husband says if it doesn't do the job, it could end up as a Roaster.

7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Is this like the human equivalent of a sperm donor?

Suzy

[​IMG]

8. dasher

To Kees, that was very funny.

9. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Hey! Renting a rooster is actually a great idea - I've never thought of it. Especially in suburban areas where you can have hens but not a roo - you could Rent-a-Roo for a while (until the neighbors complained I guess) then incubate those eggs. Hmmm... I wonder how long it takes after you see the roo do his "JOB" - for the eggs to be laid and be fertile?

I'm in NC - I could rent out my RIR. .... there is always the concern of diseases though. That would be my biggest concern actually. Not so much with very small suburban flocks of 2 or 3 hens. But some would say that roosters are practically free - so just go get one, bring it home - let it mate - then have soup! Call it, "He got Lucky then Unlucky Soup".

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My understanding is that a hen can hoard the sperm and lay fertile eggs for a month or so- is this correct, knowledgeable folks?

This could be the way to happiness for city chicken addicts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by