1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rent a rooster.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by agnespenn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. agnespenn

agnespenn New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    Hello everyone. I live in NE PA in an out of the way place, perfect for chickens and roosters. We just didn't know we'd get 7 chickens and 12 roosters. They're 8 mons old now and of different heritage varieties. We had planned on eating them, but can't. They all have names and personalities. So, we thought of renting out the roosters, but have no idea what to charge or where to start. Any ideas? I've got roosters that already weigh 11 lbs. and would be great for making more big chickens!
    I've been able to id 2 Andalucians, 2 Ameraucanas and 1 Golden Polish. The rest are a mystery to me. Here are two I don't know:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Just want to point out one thing, you may want to have a quarentine plan in place each time you get a rooster back, as you don't know what illnesses other people flock may contain, and you don't want to risk your flock..... Just a thought...

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The risk of disease is too great. And your birds should be of superior quality to 'stud' out. Since you originally planned to eat them, have you tried to sell them? If you're attached to them, create a bachelor coop and keep them. Or follow the rules of chicken math and buy more hens!

4. agnespenn

agnespenn New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    I thought about this. I have natural antibiotics - yarrow tea - that works well and I planned on separating the returned rooster for a time.
    I just don't want to get rid of them. They behave as a group and have scared away many predators! I want to take out of them, also the time I've put into them A $5 price for each not only is not their value (can't sell for more around here), but I want them to have a purpose to be here.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just my personal experience, but antibiotics, and especially teas, have absolutely nothing to do with and have no effect on many of the different diseases the roosters could potentially bring back home.

And as one poster mentioned why would anyone want to rent a rooster that wasn't a top quality purebred breeding specimen anyway?

The other problem you run across is that even though they all get along now taking one out of the flock and reintroducing it a month later will completely change the flock dynamics and pecking order. Chickens have a short memory and would treat the returning roo as a "newcomer".

I think the risk is too great. In your situation, I would do what I have done here on my property. I just built a separate coop and "bachelor run" for the boys that I am not keeping in with the flock. They behave very well together since there are no females in the pen, and I alternate days of them free-ranging with the other flocks.

Hope this helps a little bit!

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    There are many devestating diseases out there that antiobiotics will not cure, and they will be carriers for life. Please read up on MS, MG and related illnesses.

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Like others said i would not do it either,. Chance of one of your rooster coming back with a disease would be too high and you may loose all your flock.

8. Renting them out just isn't realistic but they do have a reason they can scare away predators and make you're hens feel safe if I were you I would get at least 5 more hens that way the don't ware your hens out one rooster can service up to seven hens.

9. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Personally I would seperate them into individual pens and put a few hens of the same breed with them. You'd probably make more selling hatching eggs then trying to stud them out. They are pretty guys.

10. agnespenn

agnespenn New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone. So much for renting roosters. Back to the drawing board.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by