rent a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by avawithachicken, Mar 29, 2015.

1. avawithachicken

avawithachicken New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Hi. So I have six girls 4 differnt breeds Americana Plymouth rock buff or ping ton and road island red I want to have chicks but I don't want a full time rooster. I have friends who would let me literally rent a rooster. So if I did would he be able to breed with my hens? And would the eggs be able to hatch? So pretend it did would the chick's be able to lay eggs or would they unable to?

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    [​IMG]

Any full sized adult rooster would be able to breed with your hens. The most important thing (in my opinion) would be to ask your friends to rent you one of their most docile roosters. I believe there is some evidence to suggest that aggression is an inherited trait, so I'd be finding the loveliest, sweetest roo I could to put over your girls.

Providing the rooster was fertile, and he spent long enough with your hens to mate them all (you might want to rent him for a few weeks to make sure!) the eggs should technically be able to hatch. This is assuming of course that you have an incubator or a broody hen available to hatch them out for you! Not many hatches work out 100% - you usually lose a few eggs along the way. But there is no reason they would not hatch otherwise.

The chicks would eventually be able to lay eggs when they got older - if they were female chicks! That's the issue with raising chicks though - you are destined to have roughly 50% males, which you will have to either rehome or cull out.

Raising chicks is also a time consuming activity. You need to be aware that you will have to provide a very secure area for them so the other hens can't get to them and hurt them. You will also have to be prepared to check their feed and water several times a day, as Momma Hen will inevitably kick dirt into their feeders and waterers as she teaches them how to eat. If you do not have a broody hen, you will need to provide a brooder set-up for them to live in.

- Krista

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    The worst thing that you can do to your floc is to introduce a new bird whiteout a quarantine period for at least 40 days! You can find yourself whit a floc devastated from a pathogen you introduced unwillingly to your floc! be careful no do nonsense that can kill your floc!

1 person likes this.
  4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    You make an excellent point that I failed to raise, thank you @Akrnaf2.

It certainly would be a good idea to quarantine first.

- Krista

1 person likes this.
  5. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    :thumbsup

6. avawithachicken

avawithachicken New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Yah he has to be good enough for my hens and their about a year old. Would the hybrid chicks be fertile or lay eggs at all?

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Only problem I would have is my friends wouldn't want their rooster back and I'd be stuck with it.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    What would you do with the cockerels that hatch from those fertile eggs?

1 person likes this.
  9. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Yes, eventually when they are old enough (18+ weeks) the female ones will lay eggs for you. It makes no difference where the rooster comes from.

You could consider not renting the rooster, and just asking your friends for some of their fertile eggs to hatch instead.

That would work too [​IMG]

- Krista

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

This....always something you need to have a plan for. Half those eggs on average will be male.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by