Rental Agreement said NOTHING about animals...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Can my landlord say I can't have button quail???

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I would call them by their scientific name and confuse the heck out of the landlord. But that's just me. [​IMG]

I guess my thought is that if they are sold in pet stores, they are pets, not livestock. I have seen buttons in pet stores since people often put them with cage birds to eat seed that has fallen to the ground.

Coturnix and bobs are pushing the rules...

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I have purely buttons so they are pets....

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    He Owns The Property And Can Make Any Limitations Upon Its Use

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    My coturnix are pets too (so far anyway). Pets with benefits (eggs). We haven't eaten one yet, not to say my husband isn't threatening. I think our roo is safe as he's 3 years old and probably too tough. Not to mention, one roo does not make a meal.

Will your landlord find out? They are pretty quiet relative to some dogs or parrots and I would think those are allowed.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Most rental agreements do specify one way or the other whether pets can be kept on the property. The omission on yours may have been in error. The best thing to do is to call the landlord and ask him/her. Even better would be to get the answer in writing in the form of an updated rental agreement.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Look back over your rental agreement...

If its not stated that indoor caged pets can be kept (as in no mention as to yes or no) then the owner of the property can make the decision that he/she doesn't want them on the property, and he/she can make a new rental agreement. - their property their rules essentially. However if its in writing that "Indoor caged/confined pets" are OKAY and permissable to have (with or without a deposit) then the landlord can not change or contest it until the lease time is up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by