Renting ag. zoned land/building

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rittert3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I live in a small rural town and was thinking about putting out flyers for quotes to lease/rent an acre or so with a chicken house and/or garage thats in an ag. zoned area and has access to water and electric. I don't know what would be a reasonable amount but ag. land with out utilities is valued at about $2250 an acre right now so I was thinking of offering around $50-$75 a month or maybe $100 with utilities included and the stipulation I can build temporary(easily removable) pens to suit my needs. Any opinions or suggestions? This would be a place for me to legally keep and breed quail and possibly other birds.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Is this not a good idea? there must be some opinions / comments/suggestions

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sry i live outside city limits. But if you can find someone to agree why not. You might even be able just to trade some farm type chores instead of money to keep chickens in a semi-permanent coup you never know. sry i not much help.

4. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    That would be a great idea for me. I'm having some problems with my wrists that I wouldn't beable to do anything to heavy but some light labor would be great and get me out of the house. I could also give them some eggs or processing birds if they wanted, thanks for sparking that idea. I want to focus on quail but once I get going I will attend more auctions and tend to be a bit of an impulse buyer (within reason) so who knows what I might want to raise. I have experience with chickens already so they are a very good possibility. I more or less want a building I can put a brooder and incubator in that I can put up a few wood framed, wire covered pens around. I do want whatever I raise to be condusive to helping me with the rent until I can afford land of my own.

5. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Funny you should post this, I am considering a call about a parcel about a mile from my house, to ask if I can lease an acre for chickens and a garden. The actual piece of land is a smidge over 4 acres but the sign says 'will subdivide' so I am going to see about it. It would be a pain to have to drive to the chickens every day, but to have a much larger garden there is a lot I would put up with. Good luck in your search.

6. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Varmints are my worry with not living on the same property it won't be as conveinent as stepping out the back door with my .22.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by