Reoccurring illness/disease???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Conconrid, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    Hi everyone!! My name is Connie and I'm a new member. I've been reading and using advice from backyard chickens since I've got my chicks 2 years ago. I have 4 RIR. 2 actively lay, 2 don't. I have 1 that seems to have some kind if reoccurring illness. She will have yellow/green diarrhea for awhile, her comb and face will be VERY pale and she just acts lethargic. Then she'll just be ok and act fine. She went through a molt about 5 months ago and this started right after that. She hasn't laid since then. I don't have an avian vet close but I had my local vet do a fecal float which showed no signs of parasites or coccidia. Nutri Drench does make her feel better but if I wait a week or so, she'll be ok again on her own. She eats and drinks fine. My other hens don't act like this. The other non laying hen stopped laying after her molt too but she doesn't show the same signs as the first one. I feed them 16% Nutrena Nutriwise pellets. I regularly put DE in their food and ACV in their water. I don't know what's wrong her!

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    I have heard that ACV isn't good to use in hot weather as it can hinder calcium absorption. It's much better to have plain cold water available at all times, then maybe offer another source with electrolytes once a week. But I'm not sure if that could be her ailment, though I do think it's unusual to stop laying eggs in summer, especially at only 2 years old. Could her lethargy be due to heat stress?

Texas Kiki likes this.
  3. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    I don't think it's heat because she started this back in March or April. I did not know about the ACV and am glad I don't put it in every time I refill water. (I forget to take it outside with me most times!!) I probably use it once a week but I will stop for now. None of my hens really have ever been good layers. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. They have a good sized henhouse, we could probably fit another 10 or more birds at least. They are free range ( and yes, I regularly search all the hiding places!!) I make sure they always have food ( Nutrena Naturewise 16% protein pellets) they have 2 watered changed every other day. We have 4 nesting boxes with pine shavings (all I've ever used since day one) and they have about 1/2 an acre that's fenced in to roam. I did switch their food when they slowed laying to a better quality one, or so I thought, but it never made a difference

feathermaid and Texas Kiki like this.
  4. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Don't know what her problem might be, but I would do two things. Stop putting DE in their food. There is absolutely no need for that. I would also give a round of Corid.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    She may have a reproductive problem, not uncommon unfortunately. Does her abdomen below the vent, between the legs feel bloated?

feathermaid and Texas Kiki like this.
  6. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    I've already given Corid twice, didn't help. I've also had a coccidia test on her feces that was negative. Some people believe in DE and some don't.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    I have not noticed it bloated but I will check better this evening when I get home from work

Texas Kiki likes this.
  8. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Also check her crop. Full, empty, hard, soft and squishy, etc. First thing tomorrow morning before she has a chance to eat or drink, it should be empty.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  9. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    They have access to food and water in their run that is attached to their house. I will take it out tonight so I can check her crop in the morning before I let her out. She eats, drinks fine. She was poor yesterday but today, acting normal. First one out of the run and running for bugs.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  10. Conconrid

Conconrid In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2019
    Gilmer Tx
    Yes, I checked her tonight and she is bloated between her legs. I checked the other hen who's not laying and hers was bloated also. What does that mean?

Texas Kiki likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: