Reoccurring sour crop!

Shuff92

Hatching
May 5, 2021
I have a one year old Rhode Island Red with a reoccurring sour crop problem. I feel like she keeps getting it because her crop seems to hang low. I have treated it twice now. Putting her in the crate hospital for my hens. I stop for for over 12 hours. Then only feed her eggs with nystatin as well as Keifer milk. It takes about a week to clear up. She always acts normal. Still poops and drinks and acts like abnormal chicken. Until the sour crop gets bad. When it does, she acts very hungry, will vomit when it seems full and wiggles her neck funny like she’s trying to keep her food down. I do massage her crop as well just to help with her digestion. Any suggestions on how to help her with this issue permanently?

I have a one year old Rhode Island Red with a reoccurring sour crop problem. I feel like she keeps getting it because her crop seems to hang low. I have treated it twice now. Putting her in the crate hospital for my hens. I stop for for over 12 hours. Then only feed her eggs with nystatin as well as Keifer milk. It takes about a week to clear up. She always acts normal. Still poops and drinks and acts like abnormal chicken. Until the sour crop gets bad. When it does, she acts very hungry, will vomit when it seems full and wiggles her neck funny like she’s trying to keep her food down. I do massage her crop as well just to help with her digestion. Any suggestions on how to help her with this issue permanently?
Have you tried fitting her with a crop bra?
Welcome to BYC!

Baking soda, 1 tablespoon per gallon in waterer one time solved it.. Almost immediately and won't hurt your flock, if and when it reoccurs repeat. Have done all the other doctoring as you plus more.. Takes time and reoccurred in one to the point I put her down.. That before the baking soda thingy.. Found and or believe, BREAD! Is the culprit, amongst other such as grain maybe turning a bit.. 'YEAST'.. Catch it at the onset.. it's all good, if it gets really advanced, Then you may have to resort to the other, so far it's worked even for more advanced case.. May have to do it again shortly... One keeps coming and going, maybe being part pig is her problem.. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom