1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

repainting the Chicken coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roy Rooster, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I have had my flock of BO's for about 5 years now.
    As the years have passed the paint on the coop has faded
    and looks worn. I am planning on repainting the coop this spring.
    For those who have done this before, I have a few questions.

1. Can I paint the coop on the outside while the girls are still living in it?
    What I mean exactly, is while they are out pecking in the yard, can they
    be around the fumes when they come in at night. I do not have a separate
    pen or coop, so if possible I need to paint without relocating the girls.

2. Are chickens prone to pecking at the paint while it is drying. I will be using
    barn and fence paint from lowes so it takes 48 hours to dry.

Thanks.

Here are a few pics of my coop when it was spiffy so you can get an idea of my set up
    and how the fumes will affect them. I have good ventelation, so I am hoping it will not
    be too much of a problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid I would make or borrow a temporary home while I painted. They will make a mess of it, and I wouldn't want them that close to the fumes. These days, "paint fumes" hardly even have an odor, but til the paint is cured, they are none the less there.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm assuming your using Valspar's paint and primer in one "Barn and Fence" paint. It won't take that long to dry. If the wood is damp and humidity so high it takes that long to dry you should wait for a better day.

My personal thought is I'd not worry too much. If you paint in the morning it will be dry and minimal fumes by roosting time. Your painting the exterior not the interior. The chickens have no need to be pecking or eating paint. Dried latex paint is inert, well, excluding latex allergies.

4. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    yes, I use Valspar barn and fence. I will plan to paint when I have a few days of dry weather in the 60's. I don't
    plan to paint the inside just the exterior.
    thanks so much.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I would just read the cautions on the can of paint, and adhere to them as if for humans.

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    ok, thanks so much. I will air on the side of caution as much as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by