1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Repairing cabinet incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by houndit, Dec 23, 2014.

1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I have done minor work on my incubators before, i.e. installing a new turner motor etc. Both of them are down right now and I really do not now what is wrong with them. I am not a good electrician so I would like to take them to a proffesional if possible. Does anyone know of a place that will work on these things? One of them had a horrible temperature spike 140 degrees one day. To my horror I found that no matter how much I turned it down it remained at the same temperature. The other one quit heating up one day for no explainable reason. Anyway, any hep would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. shootemup604

shootemup604 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    What type of incubators do you have? What type of temperature control do they have?

If they are wafer switches, try replacing the wafer after you check to make sure the switch actually works. If they are electronic controls, check to make sure the thermocouple (temperature sensor) is properly connected and if you have any actual temperature readouts, compare them with a known accurate thermometer. You may need to replace the thermocouple if there are some indications it is not working. If you have to replace electronic controls and it is an older incubator, I recommend replacing the factory controls with a digital temperature controller, pt100 thermocouple, and solid state relay for reliability and consistency. There are any number of online sources.

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Thanks for your reply! One is a factory made GQF 1502 Sportsman, the other is a homemade cabinet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by