repeated prolapse - when do I cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by estamets, Mar 16, 2015.

1. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    A few days ago, my pullet had a prolapsed vent after laying her first egg. Since then, I've been treating her with Preparation H, Vetricyn, and manual replacement of the prolapse. I've had to help her replace the tissue 3 times now, over 4 days.

I found two paper eggs in the roost - probably hers, since everyone else seems to be making it to the nest.

After she prolapsed again this morning, I pulled her inside, and will be withholding food, and providing clean water and liquid calcium. I might try a sling.

I'm wondering how long I wait to make the call... I'm not sure what is considered a "severe" case, or how I'll know if she's recovered or if she will never recover. I don't want this girl to suffer, walking around with her insides on the outside her whole life!

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

2. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    Update: Geraldine spent yesterday in a darkened box. I'm a sucker and fed her after a few hours - I gave her an egg with Tums crushed into it, and she gobbled it all up. She was definitely trying to lay, so I gave her an epsom salts bath and a blow dry. She had not laid at 10pm, but there was a fully formed egg in the box this morning. I have not seen a repeated prolapse.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My plan, until the swelling has gone down and her vent looks normal (you know, for a chicken butt):
    -Each morning, feed her egg with 1 Tums tablet for extra protein and calcium.
    -Twice a day, treat her vent with prep H to reduce swelling, and Vetricyn to disinfect.
    -Keep in darkened crate until 8 hours before sunset, then allow her to free range with the flock.

Once her abdomen is looking better, I'll reintegrate her with the flock, and monitor for her lifetime. I'll probably keep giving her extra calcium for a while.

I'll update here for posterity. Feedback on my plan is appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by