Repecca is my worry child

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cryss, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Repecca (aka Pecca) has had crop issues since I got her mid November. I never had chickens before this so I started out with this problem, no experience, and not enough knowlede to even understand what the problem was. This site has taught me so much. But I'm still struggling with my problem child. About 2.5 weeks ago I was able to successfully treat her for 7 days with miconazole. The difference was almost immediate. The bra I ordered came in about a week later. She adjusted to it well enough considering my clumsy attempts to make it fit right. But then I saw her throw up. Last night her crop was huge even with the bra. This morning barely reduced. She vomited quite a bit of sour yuck for me and her crop shrunk to almost normal. I reapplied her bra, hopefully better, and restarted the miconazole routine. Am I missing a step? I'm afraid she isn't getting enough nutrition. She's alert, seems to possibly be top hen or at least Vice-Hen. Very friendly. 20180315_101255.jpg 20180315_101306.jpg

Farmgal101 likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What a pretty girl! Poor 'Pecca. How old is she? How long has this been an issue? How is her appetite? Does she drink more water than usual? Does she extend her neck and do a "cobra" head movement?

Two things may be contributing to the chronic crop disorder. One may be that you need to keep adjusting the crop until the crop is finally empty in the morning. The other factor may be that you are also dealing with a stubborn impaction, either in the crop or in the gizzard.

This will entail several days of careful crop monitoring, adjusting the bra each morning according to how full you discover the crop to be. Then teach your fingers to feel for any solid matter in the crop when you check it in the morning before she eats.

Depending on what your fingers detect, you may need to treat for impacted crop in addition to the yeast infection. Here is my treatment plan for crop disorders you might find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Farmgal101 likes this.
  3. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Repecca is about 23 weeks old. She has always had this issue but until I found your thread I really had no idea what it was or how to deal with it. She has an excellent appetite, quite piggy, which worries me because I think she's hungry. I don't think she drinks more but she dfoes tip her beak straight up to swallow, higher than the others do. The first time I figured out how to treat her I had seen her do a neck thing only one time. Haven't seen that since, especially not this time around.
    I think her crop emptied pretty much totally this morning with my help. I haven't ever felt anything hard, it's always just squishy like a balloon.
    Not sure how I could adjust the bra other than prevent it from sliding to the side. I go back to your thread often since I found it. I'm headed there now.
    I also worry about aspirational issues with the vomiting. No chicken vet available so I'm on my own. Actually no I'm not, I have BYC.:highfive:

micstrachan likes this.
  4. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The facts that she has a good appetite and isn't consuming a large amount of water are good signs. I think it's the crop bra not fitting her properly that you need to address.

It can take a tedious amount of time to get it just right. There doesn't seem to be a lot of leeway in how a bra fits. It has to be fine tuned.

Think of her crop as a drain with a trap at the bottom. It may work fine for your kitchen sink, but the "trap" at the bottom of Pecca's crop is trapping her crop contents. The bra needs to be adjusted so the "trap" disappears, allowing the contents rise to reach the drain which is not quite at the bottom of the crop as you might envision.

Instead of making her vomit, try a gentle massage, keeping to the middle of the crop, avoiding the top, which would force her to vomit. It's a safer way to alleviate her discomfort.

You might also call around to stores that sell pigeon and parrot supplies. Ask them if they carry Medistatin. This is the easiest way to get hold of Nystatin without a prescription. It's more powerful than miconazole. Is you can't find it, try increasing the dosage of miconazole to a half inch to an inch of the vaginal cream or half inch of the suppository. Make sure you give two doses per day for a full seven days.

Cryss likes this.
  5. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    Thank you so much!:bow

6. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    I notice in the photo at the bottom of your article the bra is very low on the chicken. It seems to look like it's pressing againt her "belly" and under her "bosom" pushing up enhanced "cleavage" if you will. My application on Repecca is more like the bottom edge is under the edge of her bosom, the top edge is along the top of the bosom, covering the bosom, but making a bag holding her swelling crop which eventually sags south, much like a "mature" female human like myself. (Boy o boy I hope I'm making sense!) Perhaps it's the bra positioning that I'm getting wrong.

7. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Please don't go by the crop bra you see my 11 month old EE Betsy modeling. She had no crop issues, but she was very cooperative in anything I wished to do to her, bless her little heart. I had to euthanize her a couple months ago after she failed to respond to antibiotics for a serious illness.

Even if Betsy had been a candidate for a crop bra, the position that would work for her may not work for the next hen with a crop problem since crops are a lot like women's boobs - they all hang differently.

Some folks I've worked with on using a crop bra to treat pendulous crop have actually had to redesign the bra a couple of times until they got one that worked on their hen. The objective is to get the crop to empty. You just have to keep trying different positions until you get it to work.

Patience and perseverance!

Cryss likes this.
  8. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    :highfive: Got it:thumbsupThank you. Alleviated my anxiety about inadequate bra knowledge. ;)

azygous likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: