Replacement jewelry (Ladies Please)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by KenK, Nov 15, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Recently our house was burglarized and my wife's engagement ring was stolen. Not the traditional diamond solitaire but a family heirloom that had a large ruby surrounded by diamond chips. It really wasn't worth much but it meant a lot to her.

Would it make her feel better to have a replica made?
    I know I could ask her but she is one of those odd people that actually likes surprises.

It's either this or some other piece of jewelry for her Christmas present.

What would really make her happy would be to have the burglar on a spit for Christmas dinner.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have to agree about the burglar on a spit part.

I am 50/50 on the ring. Personally, I would want THAT ring back and not a copy of it. Personally, a copy would remind me of the loss in the first place. However, I am sure there are others out there that feel differently.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thats so sad...
    People are so cruel! [​IMG]

Not sure what i would want/do either...
    I'd say..maybe another ruby ring.. but maybe a different style?? So she'll still have the ruby for her memories of that ring,...but something new that showed you love her and are thinking of her.
    I dont think i would want an exact replica of the ring..because its simply NOT the same ring that had all the sentimental attachment to it..
    I'd probably want a new ring..but with a nice ruby in it to rememebr my other ring...

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    That's so sweet of you!

My mom had a ring stolen years ago, and then bought a very similar one to replace it. EVERY time she wore it, she'd mention that her "real" ring had been stolen. So, I'm in the camp of those that say, a replica will just remind her of the other one, and the fact that a knucklehead stole it.

If rubies are her favorite, stick with that for the stone, but if not, choose a different stone. I think it will be the loving thought behind this that counts the most!! [​IMG]

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Get her a small ruby necklace and tell her that you wanted her to have a reminder of the sentimental ruby to wear close to her heart! [​IMG]

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I would not really want a replica, but how about something new that can become an heirloom years from now. I would agree with a ruby necklace or maybe a small ruby ring (I am not a big ring wearer myself)

Maybe search some Pawn shops for something unique for her?

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Truthfully I like the idea of a replica, but I guess others don't. I've been trying to get a reproduction of something made for me decades ago and can't find anything close without doing it myself and can't anymore.

So how about a replica with something added so it can be carried down again later? Just similar, but different. Still I'd be one of those people that would be thrilled with the exact style. And I'm weird too. I'd rather be surprised that asked, because I'm not good at saying what I want when it is truely an issue.

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I would give her a new engagement ring but don't give it as a replacement for the stolen one. I would probably approach it as giving her a ring that maybe someday will be a family treasure itself. Maybe the last one was for the first ?? years and this one is for the next 50. I am sure you can find one similar but maybe make it just different enough where it doesn't look like you were trying to replicate. The other ring had sentiment behind it, a replica would come up short no matter how close.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think a custom ruby ring, made by someone who does unique work would be a very nice gift. It will have multi-layered meaning, showing that you love her, feel bad for the loss of an heirloom, that you know it can't be replaced, and that you are willing to make a new heirloom. Finding someone who will make you something special might be the hardest part of the whole thing.

If she particularly likes vintage jewelry, not just the heirloom, finding a cool vintage piece at an antique store or a store that specializes in old jewelry might be appropriate.

This is the sort of shop that comes to mind for me. Wonderful, unique items, made by artists....

http://www.originalsjewelryandgifts.com/

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I like the idea of a replica also. I'm a sentimental fool and live by my fond memories of the past. (Oh to be young again) [​IMG]
    Anyways, to have a new one made that she can pass down and continue the tradition would be really cool in my book. Something akin to what mom's folly said would be special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by