Replacing antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gootziecat, Apr 17, 2017.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Part of my flock has URI and I am unable to buy across-the-counter antibiotics to put in the water. What is the "new" antibiotic being use or how do I treat this? I don't want to use injectible. Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can use injectable Tylan 50 and give it orally to each sick chicken twice a day. . Many use it that way, especially with bantams, chicks, or for those that just don't want to inject. You will still have to buy syringes with a needle--18-20 gauge would work--to get the medicine out of the vial.That is really the only antibiotic you can buy in feed stores anymore without a prescription. Dosage is 1 ml twice a day for a 5 pound chicken. Give 1.5 ml for heavier birds.
    I would look at your symptoms and try to determine if it may be a virus such as infectious bronchitis, or a bacterial disease such as mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. Antibiotics do nothing to treat a virus. Here is a good article that gives symptoms of the common diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by