1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Replacing Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kada6305, Aug 10, 2014.

1. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    We have a flock of 8 chickens, 7 hens (one SS, 3 RSL and 3 Leghorns) and 1 SS rooster. Our rooster has become aggressive so time for the stew! But we are keeping him until we hatch out another SS rooster from him and our SS Hen. My question is how to replace him with the new rooster? Just take him out and put the new rooster in with the hens? At what age should I do this? I'm new to the chicken world. We are only on 2 day of incubation so it'll be awhile before he have a rooster to replace him with.

[​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Do not count roosters until they hatched, crow, and have been evaluated as adults. Consider penning current trouble maker like done with game roosters. Rear replacements and pick best. As a general rule when keeping a self sustaining flock I keep an additional rooster or two as backup in pens separate from main flock.

Also look into how future rooster can be managed so it does not become aggressive.

3. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    You think penning our current rooster for a few days will help calm him down? some of our hens have missing wing feathers from him being mean to them. Maybe our hen to rooster ratio is too low for him?

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hens should be replacing wing feathers currently through molt. Very likely feathers being replaced are approximately in position that would be damaged by overly mating rooster. Sex ratio you have should not be a problem although you could confine him for bulk of each day limiting the time he has to cover hens and cause damage. I routinely keep them as pairs without damage to hens. When molt commences sexes separated to preserve integrity of incoming feathers but matings every third day sufficient to give good hatch. One mating every third day.

Isolation will not calm him with respect to hens but might open options for controlling aggression directed at you. I have more roosters at any given moment than most will have chickens in total during their lives yet rooster showing aggression towards humans not a problem for me.

5. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    our problem is I am scared of him and he knows it. When my husband or dog are out with me I don't fear him and dont get attacked. So I think If i just stop fearing him he wont attack me, which we wouldnt have to get rid of him. I really dont want to unless we have to.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Pen him up and sit with him to build your confindence. At some point release him but wear proper clothing (jeans) and shirt.

Take some pictures of him now and note sounds he makes and posture. Also show spurs to determine if they need some work.

7. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    sit with himin the pen? Or you mean with the fence in between us? I haven't looked at his spurs lately, I'll look at them when we put them back in the cook tonight (they are free ranged)

8. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    My husband said his spurs are thick and short.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Sit outside pen. Purpose is to build confidence and possibly a level of trust. Rooster handling skills may need a little work. Many difficulties involving roosters in backyard setting appear to be a function of how rooster is handled by keeper.

10. Bryce243

Bryce243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Kendall, NY
    Kick him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by