Replacing roosters with pullets

jkenny

Hatching
Feb 14, 2016
I have 15 6wk old chicks. I'm pretty sure 2 or 3 are going to be roosters. Feed store said to bring them in & they would give me 2 or 3 females in exchange. Is this safe? I can't say I'm aware of an obvious pecking order at this point. Will the newbies be ok? I don't have space for any type of separation. I would rather have 2 or 3 less than have trouble.

No,no,no. The replacements would b about the same age as what i currently have. Thr 6 wks now

Oh - that's a different story! Then yes - I would definitely do that. I don't know when for sure pecking order gets established, but I think at 6 weeks there shouldn't be too much trouble. Especially if they have a lot of space.

Welcome to BYC!!

Even at 6 weeks they have established their territory (it's not so much about pecking order at this point),
any new birds added now will probably be deemed a threat to their resources(space/food/water).

With lots of space, places to hide and multiple feed/water stations, integration might go just fine.
..but...
Be ready to separate and do some chicken juggling if things get too bloody.

More info on your coop and run would help us help you to figure out some ideas for integration/segregation.

Coop is 8ft x 4ft.they just moved in from brooder this week. Run isnt completed yet. Will b within a few days. We wanted them to get used to coop b4 allowing them out of it. Its only 2 new ones im talking about. When i return 2 roosters i just won't take any in exchange if it will prevent a problem. They all get along very nicely right now!

Coop is 8ft x 4ft.they just moved in from brooder this week. Run isnt completed yet. Will b within a few days. We wanted them to get used to coop b4 allowing them out of it. Its only 2 new ones im talking about. When i return 2 roosters i just won't take any in exchange if it will prevent a problem. They all get along very nicely right now!
Numbers don't really matter.....
.....well, actually, bringing more in might actually be easier.....more targets to hit, more distractions...than just the 2.

But you'll just have to see how it goes, it may not be a problem at all.
You can always split the coop space if needed and do some space juggling until things settle down.
Or if it's an absolute disaster and you can't work it out after a week, maybe you can take them back.
Be flexible, creative, and patient.

Back
Top Bottom