replacing roosting bar?

Peeps298

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am using a 2x4 on its wide side as a roosting bar and the girls seem to love it. Nice wide surface for their feet and can sit on their feet to keep warm in cold weather. My concern is that the roost has become painted in poop, lol. Scrapping the roost only gets so much off the wood, over time the poop is permeating the wood. Does anyone out there change their roost on a regular basis due to the poop for sanitary reasons or have a good sound sanitary way to clean it? I try to keep their coop clean, in there once per week removing excess poop and adding new bedding and replacing all the bedding every 4-6 weeks and so forth. Any opinions would be helpful.

Thank you,

Ed

i usually just clean them with soap and water, but if it does'nt come off with that, i just sand them down till there clean with a sander. you can also paint them so the poop will come off easy

Last edited:
I know its gross - but it wont hurt them any - just scrape it off when you clean out the rest of the poop.

If you really want it clean - replace it & wrap the new one in lenolium - then you can soak it with warm soapy water & it will get squeeky clean!

Paint will get scratched off and linoleum would be slippery. Sand them a couple of times a year and then oil them well; do this in the AM and lock them out of the coop for a few hours. Use an oil that won't hurt them such as vegetable oil. Smothers lice/mites and helps preserve the wood.

I just cleaned my roosting bars and I used a paint scraper and got off most of the caked on stuff, then a light sanding and they looked great. You can also use a metal brush (like they use to clean outside grills). The paint scraper works great and you can get them in different widths so you can cover more surface at once. I cannot take mine out to wash them so I will continue this process when they need it. I also did the ladder to my roosting area as well and that will get a good scrubbing outside when Spring arrives.
PS.......took me no time at all for two 8ft. bars

Last edited:
Thank you kindly
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom