Replacing two 3mo chicks lost to Raccoon leaving lone chick?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
Alright guys, this one is outside my expertise. My most recent batch of hatchery chicks was split between myself and 3 friends. One of these friends is brand new to chickens and only wanted 3. Just got a call from her this morning that a raccoon got into her coop and killed two of the three chicks. The last chick is now pretty unhappy. One of the other friends has enough chicks that she is willing to part with a couple. I also have one that I wouldn't mind letting go of but she's a couple weeks older.

What I'm wondering is, is it better to give her two already bonded chicks or will they gang up on the lonely chick and cause problems? I've already told her she needs to keep them separate for a while so they can get used to each other. Should I get one from my friend and give her the one I have so all three are getting used to each other at the same time?

Thanks in advance! Oh, if I've put this in the wrong section, would the mods move it for me? Not sure if this was the right place to post this.

Ok, thanks! Follow up question now, should all three be separated still or since they are so young would they be okay together locked in the coop till the two new ones know where their home is?

Back
Top Bottom