Replacing wafer AND switch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mercman1, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mercman1

mercman1 Hatching

Jun 8, 2010
    Just replaced the wafer thermostat in both Hovabators. There was some fluxuation but not all that bad, or so I thought. The wafers were 20 years or so old. I still don't know what to look for as far as them being bad, but changed them from advise I got here. They did keep a more accurate temp after install. Question though, is new wafer and now new switch or only when that would "go" and the temp sky rockets because it didn't trip? Thanks for your help.

2. I dont know but hopefully somebody else can help. [​IMG]

3. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I do not think most folks look for anything being bad on them I think they change them every coupla years just in case one might go bad. Mine kina moved up and down a little bit until I put eggs in and the eggs warmed up. I have worked as a commercial HVAC / reefer tech since 1982 a few years previous doing residential work and I have found 2 types of folks who operate/control thermostats one type just sets it and forgets it . I never get to sell them a thermostat theirs lasts for years . The second type person never leave it alone they wear them out LOL I will sell them several t-stats just because they don,t like one they picked out and purchased [​IMG] . The hova bator I just bought is holding almost a good a differential as the electronic t-stats I installed on my homebuilt bators, the temps surrounding my bators are 80-85* F

4. mercman1

mercman1 Hatching

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by