Repltile heat mat for keeping water frost free?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by handmadematt, Dec 20, 2010.

1. handmadematt

handmadematt Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    I have a galvanised poultry drinker and was wondering if I just put it on top of a 20watt reptile heat mat would that work do you think?
    They are very cheap to buy.

The drinker is in an external but sheltered location.
    Has anyone done this?

2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's really no different than the mat that is attached to the bottom of the metal bases. It can't be exposed though, I know the element under those bases get hot to the touch. Try it and let us know how it works! I'm always interested in trying new, less expensive ideas!!

3. handmadematt

Dec 16, 2010
    My only worry would be that it could make the water too hot.
    Any predictions?

4. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

5. handmadematt

Dec 16, 2010
    Ah, good news.
    I live in England and the coldest I have ever experienced here is minus eight. Which was last night!
    So it should be fine.

6. handmadematt

Dec 16, 2010
    Alternatively, can the chickens thrive without a drink before 11am on the rare occasion that no one can offer them unfrozen water at 8am?

As I say, normally defrosting the water at 8am is no problem.

7. pedenes

pedenes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    I usually put water for 5 minutes then dump it again so no more frozen cubes the next morning.. they should get enough moisture for the day.. or you can do soak bread with water with electolytes so that they can get enough moisture..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by