Reply about 6" Pvc Pipe feeders PICS inside come look.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GallowayFarms, Jun 12, 2008.

1. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ok here is an over view shot of my feeder I made. I used 5 or 6 inch pvc sch 40 and the lid to a 5 gallon bucket. With some 9 week old cornishxrock for scale.
    [​IMG]

Using "L" brackets I got a Lowes ( you can get them at most hardware stores), I screwed them to the pipe first using 1/4" or 3/8" self tapping sheet metal screws. About any screw would work. I wouldn't use drywall screws though. I lined the bottom of the pipe up with the first hole on the "L" bracket. That gave me about a 3/8" gap at the bottom I believe.
    [​IMG]

To finish the feeder off you will want a top or a way to keep the chickens from jumping in them. I lost a couple smaller chickens from where they jumped in early in the morning and I was at work all day and by the time I got home they had died.

I drilled holes in mine and ran wire back and forth between the holes. I keep my feeders under a roof so I don't worry about rain getting in them. The wire works great bc I don't have to keep up with the lids or worry about the chickens knocking a lid off.

[​IMG]

I hope anyone else like me that is cheep and like to recycle things.

Good Luck

Nick

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Love it! Thanks for the pics. [​IMG]

3. bblackburne

bblackburne New Egg

Jun 12, 2008
    ROSE HILL,VIRGINIA
    Quote:hi nic ,
    i like your idea on your feeder.i have made the same feeder also.instead of putting wire in mine to keep the birds out i set a 3 gallon bucket over the 6"pipe.has worked very well for me and gives the birds an extra roost.
    just thought i would pass on the idea to you.
    bblackburne

4. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Thanks. Most of the time I ask construction guys I know to save their 5 gallon buckets for me. Where did you find "Free" 3 gallon buckets [​IMG]

p.s. I use the 5 gallon buckets to carry water and feed in, and have lots of extra lids. hahaha.

Nick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by