Repost with pics: What is my Cochin baby?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pele, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hi all,

I recently bought a bunch of very sensible and utilitarian egg-layers, then when I got to the hatchery for pickup, had a moment of madness and asked them to add a Barred Cochin to my order. I called this impulse 'chicken roulette' because they do not sex Barred Cochins at the hatchery; so I had a 50/50 chance of getting a female (which I can keep). Now I'm 4 weeks in, and one of my 'guaranteed female' golden comets is clearly turning rooster. I am on pins and needles because I am torn on the gender of my Cochin, and I really really really really don't want to have to give away two birds. Here are the following facts that pull me in one direction or another:

Female: Soot has the same posture as the other females (low and squatty). She/he also has been feathering like a weed (almost ahead of my known females) whereas my rooster still almost looks like a chick. Soot's comb is starting to pink up only now whereas my rooster's is rosier than a tanned backside.

Male: Soot's comb is growing in fast (moreso than my comets) and is starting to juuuust turn pink at the base. Soot's tail stands up straighter than those of my Comets.

I can't figure out how to post a picture, so I hope the above descriptions are good. I am hoping that the comb on Soot is just indicative of her/his breed since all the pictures I have seen of the hens are with large red combs. If you have knowledge of how Cochins grow, please let me know if this sounds like a typical female!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Soot's Comb: [​IMG]

Soot's Plumage: [​IMG]

Soot's stance, low to the ground: [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "It's easy. You draw a red line on the ground, right? Then you wait for a chicken to come along. When he arrives, he puts his beak right on the line and he's hypnotized!"
    Joey SantiagoOnline

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Not sure about Soot but I am wondering about your Golden Comet that you think is a roo. Golden Comets are easy to sex as chicks since they are color sexed. Female chicks are red and white and male chicks are only white. What color was that chick that you think is a boy when it was a new chick?

3. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Goldielocks (now Goldbert) has always been lighter than the girls. I was a first time buyer of comets, so I didn't say anything when I noticed it. I just figured it was so simple that the experts at the hatchery couldn't possibly screw up the genders. He had stripes down his back, but he was pale yellow, which I now know is the color of the males.

Goldbert is feathering veeeery slowly compared to the girls, and his shoulder feathers are coming in in strange directions. He also is developing a very manly pink comb with red wattles showing up. The girls don't have even a hint of pink in their very tiny combs, and are getting to the point of being fully feathered. Goldbert also stands up straight like a drill-sargent instead of staying low like the girls. We're going to put him on craigslist.... hopefully he's going to have a white body and a gold saddle, so he'll look pretty nice and people won't want to eat him.

4. Mystic Farms

Mystic Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    sorry, Soot looks pretty rooish.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Soot looks like a roo.

6. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw nuts, that's what I was kind of thinking too. Oh well, at least now I get to start an early home relocation program for the little guy. He's very tame and personable, so he'll impress even the human ladies. [​IMG]

7. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Scoot sure looks like a handsome barred cochin roo :")

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by