Reposting because hen could be ill

Newtochicks21

Chirping
May 5, 2021
Originally posted in Hen Behavior but I am thinking she may not be feeling well.

Our olive egger started acting a little differently about 2 nights ago when I found her in a nesting box at bedtime. I moved her out of the box and she didn’t go back. Yesterday she was less active than normal but got up to eat and move around. We gave her an epsom salt bath just in case something was bothering her. Today, her behavior is similar - lots of just relaxing. No egg yesterday or today.

She has an area on her chest that we thought she was picking but maybe not, where she is missing feathers. I do see pin feathers coming in. This area has been this wayView attachment 3236840 for a little bit now. It is not too new.

She is about 17 months old.

The way she is standing is not something I typically see her do - makes me think something is wrong.

Thanks.

Attachments

• C2710835-C854-4CFF-B99B-920715308684.jpeg
    C2710835-C854-4CFF-B99B-920715308684.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 700B9541-00B7-46BA-9168-2F85EF16300C.jpeg
    700B9541-00B7-46BA-9168-2F85EF16300C.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 1
  • F5262710-8DAC-4FAB-928A-DCC82AFBCD9D.jpeg
    F5262710-8DAC-4FAB-928A-DCC82AFBCD9D.jpeg
    665.2 KB · Views: 1
Hi! Can you dose her with calcium citrate? What do you feed them? I would also give her a raw egg yolk for a boost in nutrients and some nutri drench if you have it.

What does her poop look like?

Is her comb always flopped over like that?

Hi! Can you dose her with calcium citrate? What do you feed them? I would also give her a raw egg yolk for a boost in nutrients and some nutri drench if you have it.

What does her poop look like?

Is her comb always flopped over like that?
Poop - I just saw and it was liquidy and not a lot.

Comb is often flopped over.

I would definitely give her the calcium citrate, given she hasn't laid in a couple of days and the raw yolk and nutridrench for a boost in nutrition.

Have you noticed any undigested feed in their poo?

I would definitely give her the calcium citrate, given she hasn't laid in a couple of days and the raw yolk and nutridrench for a boost in nutrition.

Have you noticed any undigested feed in their poo?
I don’t see undigested food but what I saw earlier was the first poop of hers that I saw recently.

What kind of calcium citrate and how much should I give?

Is it ok to give if she end up not being egg bound? Thanks.

Hello! Nope, I gave it to mine for three days while she was in my chicken hospital. It helps with overall contractions. Calcium citrate has vitamin d and magnesium. We need all three for contract/release, calcium, magnesium and potassium. If you ever get really painful charlie horses it's most likely a magnesium and potassium deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom