reposting, desperate for advise and help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rehctelf, Mar 8, 2015.

1. rehctelf

rehctelf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Ohio
    Hello to all BYC friends. Thank you for reading and your imput is greatly appreciated!
    Im in need of advise, instruction etc. I incubated Quail eggs, followed instructions. They were in an incubator with auto turner, digital thermomenter the works. They they were not turned prior to hatch date. (36-48 hr). I have had 5 hatch. The most sad little things I have ever seen and I like on a farm and I am a Nurse.
    1. One baby has a foot and toes that are curled in. He cannot stand nor keep himself upright.
    2. A second has itd belly open as if it had a pea growing on its belly and he really really struggles to keep upright.
    3. A third simply churps non stop. He had a friend with him the same age.
    They are all under heat, I have tried to feed and water them all. How much they are actually receiving is unknnown. None of them drink or eat at will.

Hello again. I thought perhaps I could give a quick update.
    I have had another Quail hatch. It is scooting around and I cant tell if this one is healthy or not yet. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for reading

Sad morning.
    Four babies died in the night and the three remaining are terrible. They are not standing in their own and they are not eating or drinking. Once they get onto their backs they are unable to flip back over.
    Is there anyone what can give me advise, Im begging at this point

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there ! Sorry to hear you have problems with your hatch :hugs

Here is an excellent article on hatching quail
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-quail-eggs-and-brooding-quail-chicks Give as much detail as you can. ie what temps have you had? What has your humidty been like? Have you monitored air sac growth?
    There are so many things that can cause things like this to happen. Another article on incubation failures https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi reflchef, welcome to BYC. I see you have posted your question in the Quail Forum, that is your best place for the best responses.

You might read through this thread to look for answers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/365306/my-baby-quail-keep-dying-help

You might try the Hatching forum as well, there may be some quail hatchers hanging out there. It may take some time forpeople to see and respond to your post. In the title say something like Quail chicks dying. Good luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

4. rehctelf

Mar 6, 2015
    Ohio
    Thank you for the advise on posting in a seperate location. I did recieve a message that I was not allow to cross post. Does that mean no one can read my thread and offer help. Im sorry I am new to this and am simply trying to help these babies.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes people can read this thread. Moderator has moved it from the forum info to the quail section. As 1muttsfan has said it may take more time for people to come on line and respond. From your post I see you have three remaining quail left? Have you gently dipped there beaks into the water? Doing this can show them where it is. If they are not doing it for themselves do it for them regular. Also is your chick crumb very fine? Too big and they may not eat it, I blend mine up for the first few days to make it finer. Have you got any sava chick to add to the water? If not you could add a small amount of sugar to get them some energy? Tap your finger in the food so they know where it is. How long did you leave them in the incubator after they hatched? Too long and there yolk reserves may have run low and that's why they are weak.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Cross posting is posting the same thread in several areas of the Forum at once. Don't worry, everyone makes a few mistakes when they are just getting started. Obviously you need some help quickly.

When posting it can really help improve responses if you take a minute to look through the forum, and try to pick the best category for a post to go under. Sometimes there are several areas that would be appropriate.

Good luck with your babies - Mary

1 person likes this.
  7. rehctelf

Mar 6, 2015
    Ohio
    Yorkshire- thank you for all of the suggestions. Indeed I have used save-a-chick in their water. They were not drinking on their own so I have been putting their beeks into the water. Before they hatched I ground up the game bird feed with a coffee grinder. They were not eating it so I ground it some more to almost a powder but no luck. I pulled them from the incubator about 3-4 hours after they hatched. They were totally dry at that time.

8. rehctelf

Mar 6, 2015
    Ohio
    1muttsfan
    Appreciate the information. I am trying to follow the rules.

9. Julbrod

Julbrod Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Berks County, PA
    Hi, it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I'd keep dipping beaks in water so they stay hydrated and the same with food. Keep them warm but not too hot. If they're panting they're too hot. I hope they recover.

10. rehctelf

Mar 6, 2015
    Ohio
    Julbrod, thank you for the words of encouragement, unfortunately only one of that fist hatch survived and it doing really well. I did have a second hatch and have one little Quail that has a wing stretched out from its side and its head downward. It is kicking like crazy and unable to stand at all. The hatch was about 4 hrs ago and I am hoping it recovers if given some time. Im not quite sure what to do for it. I really dont want it to be in pain and suffer.
    Keeping fingers crossed... Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by