reposting for opinions- roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommy3, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Ok- I posted pictures a few weeks ago and our guess was 3 girls and 3 boys. it was requested I post again in a few weeks to see if we were right! So we are pretty sure we were correct! They will be 6 weeks old Saturday. Based on color alone, it seems clear to us, Then if you look at legs and size of combs again- we think we are good. Not sure how good the pics are but here we go. We are in CT and the temps are down to 30's- will they be ok to go into the coop at 8 or 9 weeks or do we need to wait longer?

3 roos (?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 girls (?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yep looks like 3 girls and 3 boys.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    You're right on the money. 3 and 3.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    When they get that age, they make life easier with the obvious color differences. 3 pairs!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those birds look well feathered enough to go out in the coop. They'll probably huddle together, keep each other warm, they'll be fine.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    3 and 3 for sure

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I agree mine are the same age and I put them out 2 days ago and they are fine- they dont even sleep under the ecoglow, only once in a while one will run under for a few minutes.

I have a Barred rock same age and it looks like your girls PHEW [​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

3 pullets, 3 roos.

I'd move them out today. The quicker the better. It is the kindest thing you can do. This gives the birds a chance to acclimate and mother nature will take over. Cooler temps now will cause them to feather up and produce nice down, if you allow mother nature to do her work. She can't do that nearly as well if they have too much warmth at this age. It will be much colder in December and they'll be just fine if you use November as feather growing season. Plenty big enough to head on out to the coop. Enjoy the Rocks. I know I enjoy mine very much.

9. mommy3

mommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Plantsville, CT
    Thanks everyone! I guess we will definately finish up the coop this weekend, we have had no power for 7 days- had a generator some of the time and it has been interesting! My house is now covered with lovely chicken dust! They had been moved out onto a porch (3 season) but it got much too cold out there for them! We only have the roost bars to put in and hang the feeders/waterers so I know what we will be doing on Saturday! Looking at a good stretch of weather coming up so looks like a good time to get them started outside! Hopefully we will get power before Monday- which is what they have predicted for my house and then they can have something to keep warm by too if they need it. I will miss all of my peeping in the house! Drives the rest of the family crazy but it is music to my ears![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by