1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

reppeling foxes and snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ema123, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ema123

ema123 New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    how do I keep away unwanted gests? haven't had any attacks yet but I just wanted to steer clear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ashlee clarke

ashlee clarke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Maclean
    Put strong wire for foxes and snakes I don't know

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Hardware cloth is the best to keep unwanted things out, some people use a hot wire around the bottom of the run imagine sticking your nose on that in the middle of the night, probably only do that once.

4. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I second the hardware cloth idea for your coop. Do you free range or have a run? Is your coop secure and do you lock them up at night? Are you trying to keep predators out at night or during the day?

See my link under my name for "My Coop" to see the design of mine and the predator deterrent things I put in place to keep the predators out at night. My risk time is during the day (early morning and late evening especially) because I free range during the day (no fence, no run at all). My barn is about 1/4 mile from my house so the chickens are by themselves a good part of the time. I have 3 dogs that help run everything off that comes in the area but the dogs stay at the house a lot. One of the dogs is an Anatolian Shepherd and he is an excellent guard dog, loves paroling the woods. But again, he's not at the barn all the time. I also have a rooster that is pretty tough and does his best against predators but he's of course, no match for anything serious, like a coyote or fox.

Are you worried snakes will take your eggs or are you worried they'll eat your baby chicks? Snakes are nearly impossible to keep out of a coop. My neighbor had a snake eat 5 of 6 of his baby chicks. He was devastated.

Guppy

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I just got 40 baby chicks in July. within 2 weeks the snakes had gotten 4. Good news is, i got the snakes also. i'm going to use hard ware cloth in every space the next time to avoid them getting in.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    A GUN, LOL..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by