Reprimanding an aggressiv roo, is this right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Perocore, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Perocore

Perocore Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    In my Rabbit Barn
    I have a 5 month old Golden Comet Rooster, we raised him from a chick and he's always been really sweet, but lately he's started going after us, our mallard duck got in a fight with him and grabbed his tail feathers, which made the roo back off, so we've been doing the same. He won't go after us unless we move quickly, but when we grab his tail feathers he hates so backs off, I am wondering if this is a good way to reprimand him or if there is something else we can do that works better...if you know something I'd love to know!

Thanks,
    Pero

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I agree. GritStar's post is great sound advice on how to reform/keep a Rooster.

4. Perocore

Perocore Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    In my Rabbit Barn
    Thanks! That's really helpful!

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    You're welcome! I hope you have success with your rooster. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With aggressive roosters it can come down to what works for you. If grabbing his tail convinces him that you are dominant, GRAB his tail. It's all about convincing him that you are the boss. Good luck at adjusting his attitude. Human aggressive roosters can cause more significant injuries than many are aware of especially when children are involved.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Good luck! Hope it works for your....agressive roosters soon become roasters at my place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by