Reproductive illness

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
Alright, so I’m calling Daphne's vet tomorrow (Daphne is an almost 3 yr. old Rouen duck for those who don’t know). Since her illness about 1 month ago (lethargy, straining, eventually passed an OVERcalcified egg attached to an unshelled egg), Daphne’s eggs have varied from mostly perfect to soft or unshelled. Her energy, appetite, and personality have all been normal, so I’ve been watching to see if her issues would resolve once the season changed. However, she’s had a rough couple of days, and I had to help her out today (warm bath, oral calcium gluconate) after she once again became too quiet and started straining continuously without success. She eventually passed a soft-shelled egg with a long membrane attached and now seems back to her normal self. She eats a layer pellet (mixed with an all-flock maintenance diet) with a bowl of oyster shell available at all times. She gets mealworms, cracked corn (rarely), and lettuce for treats. Occasionally, I add brewers yeast. She never had issues until 1 month ago. Her original illness came after a sudden extreme weather change. She is not even 3 years old. Most people’s birds have stopped laying at this point in the year and I wish she would stop laying too as it is clearly not in her best interest to keep on this way!!!!

Anyways, has anyone else had a duck or chicken with long term laying issues that eventually resolved? What was the cause?

Ok, so crossing fingers that she can hold on until I can get her Baytril. The veterinarian I took her to during her first bout did not think that she had an infection at the time, and that she was possibly just having a hard time with the transition between seasons (switching over to non-laying for the winter). Because of this, I’ve been too trusting that everything was going to be ok... After all, she’s mostly acted normally, despite laying funky eggs. She’s been hyper and chatty and piggy and great... until last night.

I really hope that Daphne can hang in there. I get that I won’t be able to eat her eggs after treatment, but I don’t care as long as she is ok!!!!!

Thank you all very very much for your support and advice!

Bless her heart I am sure getting that egg out made her feel much better. When my Runner had. a shellless egg inside she was acting off too. After acting that way all morning I walked up to her and was going to look her over she jumped up and had just laid the egg. After that she was back to her old self. Hoping Daphne will be okay now that she laid the egg. Bless both your ♥️ hearts

Lots of birds in the US have implants, but they aren't cheap and I think they need to be replaced every few months.
Once again, thank you :) I will have to look into it as a potential option. Maybe it was just a certain type of implant they had banned. I don’t know. Accurate duck information is so hard to come by! Thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge. It really is very much appreciated!

It's a good thing you have a vet that will see her. usually at 3 yrs they do begin to slow down in laying. And I think any breed can have reproductive issues maybe the heavier breeds more so I haven't researched this or anything. Just my thinking. It sure sounds like she is on a good diet and having the vet check her out is hopefully going to give you some answers. I have all my Muscovy's stopped laying now but some of my Runners and Buffs are still laying. I am hoping they all will take a break over winter too.

Please let us know what you find out. We're pulling for Daphne :hugs

Back
Top Bottom