1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reptile Cage to Chick Brooder Conversion Complete!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Sheriff, Nov 15, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I picked up this old reptile habitat from someone on Craigslist this morning for $50.00. It is 3 feet wide, 2 ft high and 2 feet deep. It is wood with glass doors and a top-to-bottom wire covered vent on the front. It was wired for a heat lamp and a fluorescent lamp.

[​IMG]

So we went to work on it first giving it a good scrubbing. Then we drilled six round vent holes in the top and covered them with 1/2" hardware cloth. There was some soot near the heat lamp bulb so we removed the fixture and saw that it was burned out and wired wrong. I went to Lowes and replaced it with a new one that also has a plug in it so I can plug a second heat lamp in if needed. DH wired the new ceiling lamp outlet, we plugged in a 60 watt ceramic heat bulb and it is up to 80 degrees already. We're watching carefully that is doesn't overheat. The silkies can be at 80 degrees this week but the bantams are only a week old. I am going to shoot for 85 degrees. I am so hoping the ceramic bulb heats it enough. I want to get rid of that red lamp. They were partying all night! I want them to get used to the dark before we move them to the coop in a few weeks.

Anyway, here it is. I left the big snake log in it and they are having a ball climbing and roosting on it. We also put a couple of perches in for them. This is the first time the bantams and silkies have been together and they are enjoying it! It's ain't pretty but it works!

[​IMG]

Here they are enjoying the new digs and some meal worms for the first time.

[​IMG]

Mary

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    great job

3. siroiszoo

siroiszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Waller, TX
    Great Job. I bet if I did that I could never move them outside. My husband swears that if we didn't live in a mobile home, I'd have the horses inside with me. LOL!

4. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

Super chick brooder. I'll have to watch for one of those.

Georgia in Alabama

5. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    you know, i was actually thinking it was kinda pretty... looks better than the rabit cage mine are in.. lol...

Quote:that cracks me up... i dressed as pippy longstocking for halloween and my hubby never watched it/read the books... i threatened to bring my donkey into the house... he said no... and we don't live in a mobile home.. i think it's a guy thing.... don't know why they think horses don't belong in the house...

anyway....
    grats on the awsome new brooder... that gives me a little inspiration to go think about how i'm building mine

6. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I want a chick-TV. It looks a lot better than what they broadcast in my area!

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like chickie TV; I'd have a chair pulled up in front of it all day!

8. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I am lovin that brooder!!!! Wow! There is only one problem with it though. You're never gonna want to stop getting fresh chicks for your chick show. [​IMG] I'd be in trouble for sure with the DH with a brooder like that. He already thinks I spend too much time sitting back here with them. If I could move them to the living room ....

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thanks!

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Oh it is pretty! I kept seeing these (wooden though) on craigslist and was thinking about the possibilities!

I'll have to keep a lookout, that's pretty sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by