Reptile eggs and Sportsman?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Nov 22, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Someone just asked me if you can hatch reptile eggs in the Sportsman cabinet bators and hatchers. I didn't know what to say, does anyone know?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Uhhhh....

That's a good one! LOL

I guess I would look up temperature requirements for reptile eggs and compare it to the incubator specs. Doesn't temp effect sex of reptiles? (Or is that just gators?)

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have no vague idea! LOL... but I told them I might be able to find out on here. I've just been looking them up, but I'm not into reptiles at all.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    What kind of reptile? If the sportsman bator can get to 80F with gecko eggs then yes! They cant be turned so can you manually take off the turner for it?

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know what kind of reptile. They reason they asked me is I put my cabinet Sportsman, the hatcher back up for sale, and if it does work they want it. But I sure don't want to sell them something they can't use.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    See if you can get to it to 80F. If you can stop the turner manually then it should work perfectly. I am going to use my brower as a reptile bator till I can afford the juragon.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's the hatcher, it doesn't turn. I imagine if they used the wafer instead of the programed temp it might work.

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    It should work. I am sorry I forgot to ask if there is room to add a couple gladware containers? The reason I ask is because almost all eggs needs moist pearlite to be set in.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    There's a ton of room, it's a big cabinet bator.

10. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Ok cool! then it should work. I might pick one up so I can hatch a bunch in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by