Reptile heating mats for keeping water warm?

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has tried reptile/seedling heating mats under their water fonts as a way to keep them from freezing? I use diy 5 gallon plastic buckets with water cups, and last year I had a heat-lamp set one on fire so I really don't want to do that again this year! I have a few seedling mats and wanted to try those, just don't want to waste my time if it won't work.

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Reptile heating mats have been known to melt plastic. I’d be careful with those.

I know nothing of seedling mats, because I have a black thumb.:confused:
Reptile mats and seedling mats are the same thing. Looks like I'll e going back to heat lamps, and just hoping I can find the sweet spot!

Trisseh

Duck-duck-chicken!
Jun 21, 2019
NW Ontario, Canada
I wouldn’t use one of the heating mats, they definitely leave much to be desired in temp regulation. Theoretically you could use a thermostatic controller and potentially avoid melting issues, but why go through all that extra effort?

@aart has a neat article on an aquarium heater system. Although with the cups, I don’t really know how you’ll keep those from freezing because water stays in the valve.
Horizontal nipples would be a better option. That being said, it also depends on your temperatures and what “cold” is. Here we get long stretches of -30 to -40 Celsius that hold on for days on end, so cups would never work for me during winter. :)
I’ll link to the article below for you to check out.

Aart’s heated waterer

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
That being said, it also depends on your temperatures and what “cold” is. Here we get long stretches of -30 to -40 Celsius that hold on for days on end, so cups would never work for me during winter. :)
I’ll link to the article below for you to check out.

Aart’s heated waterer

I'm in central Ohio, so we also have had hellish stretches at -30/40c, but our typical "cold" winter temp is around -10.

Another option is to use the heat mats with metal feed pans on top. I'd have to refill more often, but it would get the job done.

Trisseh

Duck-duck-chicken!
Jun 21, 2019
NW Ontario, Canada
I'm in central Ohio, so we also have had hellish stretches at -30/40c, but our typical "cold" winter temp is around -10.

Another option is to use the heat mats with metal feed pans on top. I'd have to refill more often, but it would get the job done.
I would for sure still use a thermostat controller, you’ll save a bit of electricity and run less risk of them getting too hot. :) I got a decent one from Amazon for like $20, and currently it’s in use in the quail waterer with the aquarium heater; I’m pleased with it and the water stays just a couple degrees above freezing.

Top Bottom