Reptiles, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Does anyone besides myself, breed reptiles? I'm wanting to get back into them more so than am now...so I thought I'd start here before I ventured off to kingsnake. [​IMG] I'm mostly interested in monitors (no niles, though) and beardies. Oh and maybe some super nice leos.

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I LOVE reptiles! I know a lot of BYCers know that too,lol. If you check out My Page you'll see some of my snakes. At the moment, I only own one Bearded Dragon and 6 Cornsnakes. I used to breed Beardies, but I lost my male, and to be honest, Beardies dont produce much money. Mine didnt anyways, but maybe if you bred higher quality morphs you would get more. I would love some Ackies, but I dont have that kind of money at the moment! Have you thought about snakes? Ball Pythons seem to sell for a lot, but you also have to pay a lot to get them, lol.

3. I used to breed Leucistic dragons and they did okay, moneywise. [​IMG] Hubby says no to snakes and it's very hard as it is to get feeders around here, let alone mice, rats, rabbits or **GASP** chicks to feed it. Although I LOVE those piebalds! [​IMG]

I'd also LOVE a red ackie but also don't have an extra $350 or so to spend on a lizzie right now. [​IMG]

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Oh, that's cool! Leucistic Dragons are awesome. Haha, that stinks, my parents are Anti-snake, but I still have 6 of em! I bred my own feeders, and once I got the amount I wanted in the freezer, I culled my breeders as well. I have 6 snakes that eat 3 different sized prey items. It was just easier to breed my own than to make a huge order. I LOOOVE Piebald Ball Pythons too, its my favorite morph.

LOL, same here. Ackies are gorgeous, but with the rise in feed prices, Im lucky to get the animals I have fed.

5. Yeah, I found one (adult ackie) on Craigslist a few weeks ago but it was gone before I could even get a response back from the guy!

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    I wish I could have reptiles [​IMG]. My mom would be OK about it but my dad would freak. I used to have geckos and anoles but no snakes [​IMG]. Whats an Ackie?

7. It's a monitor. They are pretty nice lizards, as far as monitors go...but usually pretty spendy. I also love tegus. The reds are too cute!

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:That sucks! How much was he asking?

Tegus are the Devil, LOL. Atleast the one at the petstore where I worked was, that guy was mean. They are gorgeous though. I wish I had the room, and money, for a large monitor, but they eat so much.

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Songster

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
  10. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    It would be so cool if I could get a smaller species of python but I don't have any money, my dad is scared to death of snakes, and I don't have any room [​IMG]. I'll stick with chickens, a dog, cats... just read my signature lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: