1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reptiles, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Does anyone besides myself, breed reptiles? I'm wanting to get back into them more so than am now...so I thought I'd start here before I ventured off to kingsnake. [​IMG] I'm mostly interested in monitors (no niles, though) and beardies. Oh and maybe some super nice leos.

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I LOVE reptiles! I know a lot of BYCers know that too,lol. If you check out My Page you'll see some of my snakes. At the moment, I only own one Bearded Dragon and 6 Cornsnakes. I used to breed Beardies, but I lost my male, and to be honest, Beardies dont produce much money. Mine didnt anyways, but maybe if you bred higher quality morphs you would get more. I would love some Ackies, but I dont have that kind of money at the moment! Have you thought about snakes? Ball Pythons seem to sell for a lot, but you also have to pay a lot to get them, lol.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

I used to breed Leucistic dragons and they did okay, moneywise. [​IMG] Hubby says no to snakes and it's very hard as it is to get feeders around here, let alone mice, rats, rabbits or **GASP** chicks to feed it. Although I LOVE those piebalds! [​IMG]

I'd also LOVE a red ackie but also don't have an extra $350 or so to spend on a lizzie right now. [​IMG]

4. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Oh, that's cool! Leucistic Dragons are awesome. Haha, that stinks, my parents are Anti-snake, but I still have 6 of em! I bred my own feeders, and once I got the amount I wanted in the freezer, I culled my breeders as well. I have 6 snakes that eat 3 different sized prey items. It was just easier to breed my own than to make a huge order. I LOOOVE Piebald Ball Pythons too, its my favorite morph.

LOL, same here. Ackies are gorgeous, but with the rise in feed prices, Im lucky to get the animals I have fed.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, I found one (adult ackie) on Craigslist a few weeks ago but it was gone before I could even get a response back from the guy!

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wish I could have reptiles [​IMG]. My mom would be OK about it but my dad would freak. I used to have geckos and anoles but no snakes [​IMG]. Whats an Ackie?

7. Rare Feathers Farm

It's a monitor. They are pretty nice lizards, as far as monitors go...but usually pretty spendy. I also love tegus. The reds are too cute!

8. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:That sucks! How much was he asking?

Tegus are the Devil, LOL. Atleast the one at the petstore where I worked was, that guy was mean. They are gorgeous though. I wish I had the room, and money, for a large monitor, but they eat so much.

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
  10. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It would be so cool if I could get a smaller species of python but I don't have any money, my dad is scared to death of snakes, and I don't have any room [​IMG]. I'll stick with chickens, a dog, cats... just read my signature lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by