repurpose furniture into small coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SparksNV, Jan 5, 2011.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Has anyone taken a piece of furniture such as a large chest of drawers and repurposed into a small coop? If you have please post pics and description. Thanks!

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I haven't seen it made into a coop but I seems to remember someone posting a picture of a chest of drawers re-purposed into an adorable nest box [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone has done a coop though, love the creativity [​IMG]

3. SparksNV

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I have taken a cabinet and repurposed into a nest box but I am looking for it to be a coop not just nest boxes. Thanks though!

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Here is one I did for two pair of button quail: [​IMG]

I turned this: [​IMG]
    into this brooder
    [​IMG]

I think you'd need an AWFULLY big piece of furniture to turn it into proper housing for anything larger than babies or button quail.

I suppose a BIG waterbed frame might be something you could convert, depending on how it was made.

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen pictures of at least two dressers turned into small coops. I'm not sure if it was on here in the coop section or if it was somewhere else............senior moment here. Anyways, one was really nice, made from one of those dressers that had 3 rows of drawers, set up on legs with a larger run attached. It was hard to tell it had once been a dresser.
    If you do decide to do that, I would use one that wasn't made out of a lot of veneer instead of solid wood, as that might not hold together well for that use. I love creative coops! I'm converting a fireworks stand into a coop, LOL.

6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Excellent idea! I repurposed some garbage cans for my smaller pens. Their plastic. They have a lid. Great for small 3 bird coop.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A number of BYCers have used old dressers or kitchen cabinets or the like. I'm sure other furniture could be used as well; some wooden childrens' desks might be particularly easy to convert for just a couple chickens in a warm climate.

A thing to remember, though, is that an awful high proportion of furniture these days is made wholly or partly out of things OTHER THAN real wood. Chipboard, MDF, particleboard, that kind of thing. These do not hold up well at all outdoors, even if painted. Even "real wood" furniture -- the more expensive and older stuff -- will come apart outdoors if it is not kept well painted and up off the damp ground.

So you would want to think through the durability of the materials in the piece you're thinking of using.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. SparksNV

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Thanks for all of the ideas and tips! I just want something to house some chickies as they grow until big enough to go hang with the big gals! So it will be temporary.

carol

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I'd like to see those! I looked on your page but all I saw was your beautiful birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by