1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Repurposed chinchilla cages**Final Pic**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I bought three of these stackable chinchilla cages that are 2 x 4 each. I cleaned them well and just am in the process of painting them.
    I plan on hanging them on the back wall of my covered run. Here's a pic of the run and the start of my project. The orange on the cage
    is the same as the orange on the door inside the coop. I'm hoping it won't give the girls a headache! You can't see it in the picture but
    the inside roof will be white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's one of my D'Uccles with my NN cockerel. Don't they make a cute pair?

[​IMG]

Just need to finish setting them up. My two D'Uccles now live in a shabby chic penthouse. [​IMG]
    They have 2 x 12 space & I can close them up in the far one with the slider door.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Those chickens are adorable!! [​IMG]

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

They go with your Chartreuse trim in the rest of the coop. Is that a little flap door on that little coop? Looks like an excellent repurposing choice.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    [​IMG] Very nice coop! Excellent work on the new cages, if that's a door flap or access for the bird, that's a great idea too.

But, best of everything of course is that little lavender cockerel! [​IMG]

5. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    WOW those are some cool colors!! looks nice and clean. I think it is cool that you are putting some pep in the hen house, maybe a big pictue of foghorn leghorn on the wall to make the ladies get their eggs flowing???

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    perchie.girl :

They go with your Chartreuse trim in the rest of the coop. Is that a little flap door on that little coop? Looks like an excellent repurposing choice.

It'll have a slider because the cage pictured is the middle cage. I just haven't cut the other end out yet. One cage will be the "coop" and the other two the run. It's just for 2 D'Uccles so 2 x 12 will be plenty of space for them.​

7. enzolove

enzolove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    San Diego
    I love the bright cheery colors! And the pink trim is perfect. Now I wish I'd had time to paint my coop before the girls moved in.

8. enzolove

enzolove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    San Diego
    And I love your little girl's Vanna White impression! [​IMG]

9. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I especially like the pop of pink with the orange and the green. Add in a little red and some cobalt blue and it will have that lively Mexican look, which I really enjoy.The chickens will adapt, and may even develope a charming accent. Next thing you know, eggs ranchero!And, regarding the water system, it can be held together with silacone (you know what I mean), so I suppose you could take it appart. I say it's worth a try. I found a cheaper source for the drippers, so I'll bring that info to the meet. I'll also post it since you are not coming tomorrow.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I decided to go with the shabby chic look. I love that it's right at my eye level. These D'Uccles are the sweetest little birds. Bought them from wwmicasa1. I'm having so much fun with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by