Repurposing truck cap

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jo Anne, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jo Anne

Jo Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Do you have any ideas how to repurpose this truck cap

2. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    I like to see this as well I just bought a property that has 3 sitting on it and it just happens this property is also going to be my chicken haven market garden permaculture getaway

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I did see one guy who built 4 walls and used an old truck cap for the roof of his coop.

4. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I've seen the truck caps used as hides placed around the yard or property for free range chickens, for quick hides in case of bird predators, or a dry spot to retreat to if the weather changes.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Flip it over, cover with some netting and use as a big ol brooder. The netting is cause it's not deep enough once they're a few weeks old.

6. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

I found this picture I might do this with mine, stack them on the hay bales, I am thinking of free ranging some meat birds with these and then also some turkeys because I have three maybe four caps like this I will set out three for the meat birds and then run the electric netting around them and just lock them in the caps at night.

7. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

I also found this one, I think I like the other one better though because I can just use them for the meat birds and tear them apart and move them around but if you wanted a more permanent coop you could do something like this, maybe a little sturdier though.

8. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

okay maybe like this one more sturdy, I bet you could use old pallets to build the bottom base part, I like this I could put it on wheels and have chicken mobile okay well I am going to go to the drawing board, you could add a run on this one for sure...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by