Repurposing two old Silos...?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by secuono, Jan 22, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    If we get this house, I'd love to find a neat way of re purposing the two old silos that are on the property.
    Any ideas? Has anyone else done something with unused silos, pictures??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Shoot, I don't know what I'd do with it......but its sure neat! You could turn that covered stock feeding area into a really neat barn/coop with pens along the sides and a walkway in the middle. Awesome.

Good luck!

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd remodel one into guests quarters with a spiral staircase going up to the top and put a balcony up top! The other...put some windows in and make it into an aviary?

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Does anyone know why the barn/run in shelter is like that? I have no knowledge of old 1930's farms and it would be cool to know more about it.

I went over to the 1st one attached to the barn/grain area, it was just amazing to see and the echo was very cool. Pictures do it no justice, but then again, it might just be me and my love of such oddities.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    YOU ARE SO LUCKY I LOVE THAT! I LOVE OLD BARNS...okay im not usually that obnoxious with caps but i think it got my point across. The run in/barn has a isle like that to put food on for cows.

6. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Beautiful country - great pictures. Good luck with it!

[​IMG]

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Oh, cool, thanks!

8. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Oh, cool, thanks!

No problem!

9. Ohne-Fehler

Ohne-Fehler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Oregon
    I read an article a while back about a farm in Oregon that repurposed their old silos into liveing quarters and started a Bed & Breakfast. I thought that it was an amazingly creative idea.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You throw the silage down the chute into a cart and then pushed the cart down the bunk unloading the silage as you go....the cows lined up on either side of the bunk to eat. At least that's the way we did it. We don't use our silo anymore....we make a large pile of silage and use a tractor with a loader to feed it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by