Reputable source for day-old Silkie chicks?

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
I keep finding hatcheries that have great reputations and no standard-size silkies.. and hatcheries that have silkies but I've never heard of! I'm looking for white, buff, splash, and/or black day-old chicks. Where do you get your pet-quality silkies? They don't have to be show quality - I don't plan to show. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Where in Oregon are you located? For the same price you would end up paying to buy and ship a small number of silkie chicks, you can often get cull chicks from a breeder (often more $$ per chick, but no shipping).

I know of two breeders in OR, and a few in WA that I can recommend having shown, traded, or purchased with/from them.

I'm looking for these too! Well, I guess just any black silkie. Anyone know where they sell them in orange county?

Cackle, Purely Poultry and Eagle Nest. Eagle Nest you get them in an assortment of feather footed bantams, white bearded only. BUT they have cochins, mille fleur, brahma and favorelles in this assortment. I've been told nice white silkies from Eagle Nest... Sometimes local folks have silkie chicks for sale on Craigslist too.

Quote:
Actually there are some LF Silkies in the US they are just very hard to find. There's a guy on ebay been selling them for 2 years that I know of, you just have to catch it when he has some listed.

A private breeder is always they best way to go if you want nice silkies though, lots of the hatcheries are junk. I wasted a lot of money getting ours go threw so called bearded hatchery birds. Never kept the first one back, gave them all away and bought real ones for our stock. I you just want a "silkie" they are by far the cheaper way to go and will give you mainly pet quality birds, but they'll be silkies .

Lots of the hatchery birds i ended up with had single combs, white skin, 3-4 toes instead of 5, some had bright red combs, none were ever bearded though they all say " both bearded and non bearded" So just depends on what quality you are looking for in them
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom