request for button quail info

Discussion in 'Quail' started by team edward, Aug 13, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    im wanting to raise button quail can anybody give me tips?

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Didn't you already post this somewhere?

3. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    maybe lol

4. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Heehee well I would like some info 2 so.......[​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button Quail, also known as Chinese Blue-Breasted Quail (Excalfactoria chinesis), are the smallest quail in the world. They are the size of a bumble bee at hatch. They are mainly used in aviaries to clean up the "mess" left by finches or parakeets.

Button quail do fly but it's more of a "superman" fly when startled. They are ground dwellers (they do not perch).

Button Quail are not the cuddly type of bird. They are simply the lookers in the bird world.

Unlike many types of quail, buttons do not live in coveys. They are monogamous (one male, one female) and in the wild will mate for life. In captivity, things happen and sometimes, a mate has to be replaced at times (death of a mate, mate escaped, etc). Trios are not the smartest option in housing these birds. Territorial issues will arise and the "oddball" could get seriously injured or even killed.

Housing: A parakeet cage works. You can take out the wire bottom and fill the bottom with pine shaving or a bedding that does not involve cedar. Button quail have very fragile feet and wire surfaces can cause issues to the feet, legs, and hips.

Feed: Button quail eat Gamebird crumbles. You can add ground oyster shell to it for added calcium. Baby buttons like a more mash substance so grinding the crumbles further helps them digest the food easier. Please make sure you are feeding your buttons UNMEDICATED Gamebird crumbles. Medicated causes sterility in males later in life, and you don't want that.

That is all for now. I just noticed what time it is! oops!! [​IMG] Hope this information is helpful! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
  7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Didn't you already do a thread about this! [​IMG]
    Listen and Take quailladyoffortmyers - She knows what she'd doing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by