1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Request for Miss Prissy's trash recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Dec 9, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Please? I haven't made it for years and years!!

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    ?

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:me too?

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that white trash you are looking for? Made with Crispix cereal?

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    MissPriss don't make no trash girl!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My dearest friend in the world and I once made this every year for the holidays. She is no longer with me but her memory and our traditions live on.

My Christmas tree is filled with ornaments we collected together. She loved Disney and Coca-Cola ornaments. I have several on my tree and a very special nostalgia paper Santa that means a lot to me.

We use in our Christmas trash -

Rice Chex
    Wheat Chex
    Corn Chex

Note here: Just buy the store brand. Buy the cheaper cereal and save yourself some money.

Quaker Oat Squares
    Cheerios

Roasted peanuts
    Pecans

Pretzels, squares or traditional, if you don't stir too much the stick work fine.

Choose other cearals that can stand up to the butter and not become instantly soggy and a mushy mess. Flakes are not a good idea.

Mix equal portions together. You can do the entire box of each or a few cups of each each.

Melt a stick of butter and 1/4 to 1/2 cups worcestershire sauce. Add in garlic powder to your liking. Lynn always used Lawry's season salt but it was often too salty for me and burned my lips. I use the garlic powder, get the flavor just right then salt the mix with sea salt to taste.

Add a little of the hot butter mix and stir the mix. When it is all used up and you don't have enough 'flavor' mix up some more butter sauce and toss it again. You want the flavor coated on the cereal but you don't want it soggy.

Place in a roaster or on sheet pans and bake at 350 degrees until it is dry. Stir the mix every 20 minutes or so to keep it from clumping or burning.

Pour it out on newspaper and let it dry. Pour into a large container when comepletely dry. It will keep several weeks.

If it is wet it will grow mold. Don't eat it. Take the time to dry it properly.

If you like sweet and salty, you can add dried fruit, marshmallaws, chocolate chips, etc to change up the flavor options for kids or adults.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oooohhhh . . . [​IMG] thanks for sharing your recipe and your memories!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG]

I just happen to be eating some ....

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We add cheese tid-bits or cheese nips to ours and use cajun seasoning on it. Yummy!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Thank you Miss Prissy. I saw you posted that you were making it and I thought OH YUM!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by