Request PHOTOS of your nesting box

TenOC

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
This spring I need to add 6 to 12 Nesting Boxes in the chicken RUN area. I have a few nesting boxes in the coop, but this spring I will have
bow.gif
more laying hens and I will need more nesting boxes. There is not room to put the boxes in the coop so they will need to go outside in the run area. The chickens free-range most of the time, but I do have a protected run area that I feed and water them in. They sleep in the coop at night.

I am looking for some simple DIY expensive nesting boxes. If I had room indoors, I would use simple cardboard boxes, but this will not work outdoors.

Can you post photos of your nesting boxes??

Do you place them on the ground or about 4 feet
idunno.gif
of the ground?

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but we just nailed some wood together in a box form. The other one I have came free with the coop... but mine are only about two feet off the ground.

I have photos of ours on my Hen House page, it is at a height so I don't bend to retrieve eggs, yet it's still lower than our highest roost bar
- good luck with yours!

Last edited:
Here are photos of my nesting boxes make from used 5 gal dry wall pails. I drilled some small holes in the "bottom side" of the pails to drain out any rain that got into the box and large holes in the "back" for air flow.

I think I need to raise the home boxes higher off the ground so I do not need to bend over to get the eggs.

What is the preferred height for the nesting box perch?

The young hens have not started to lay yet. I will wait until spring to see if the boxes work. I plan to get 3 or 4 more 5 gal used pails to complete the row.

Here are photos of my nesting boxes make from used 5 gal dry wall pails. I drilled some small holes in the "bottom side" of the pails to drain out any rain that got into the box and large holes in the "back" for air flow. I think I need to raise the home boxes higher off the ground so I do not need to bend over to get the eggs. What is the preferred height for the nesting box perch? The young hens have not started to lay yet. I will wait until spring to see if the boxes work. I plan to get 3 or 4 more 5 gal used pails to complete the row.
Very neat idea. Would have never thought of it. Be sure to let us know how they like it.

Back
Top Bottom