Requesting advice.

clchickenlady

Chirping
Feb 11, 2015
Hi to all. I just became a member of Backyard Chickens. We have six chickens right now. Three are Rhode Island Reds, and three Sex links. Right now one of my Reds has been sick. We suspect she has mites as she is losing feathers around her neck mostly. I noticed she wasn't right about four days ago. She was shivering and hiding out from the other five. She was pretty weak also. I brought her in and kept her in the garage for a couple of days. She seems better as she is talking now and poop looks ok. She hasn't laid an egg though for two days for sure. I put her back in with the other chickens today to see how it will go. Before we did we dusted her with dust that is supposed to kill mites. The others are picking on her some. I have thought of molting but because she was weak and shivering I thought it was more than that. Not real sure what to do now. I am thinking of keeping her with the others and see what happens. I don't think she is egg bound as the first day she was not perking up her tail and her head was down. From what I have read if she is egg bound she would walk more like a penguin. She is still losing feathers for sure. I checked her for mites around the vent and thought I might have seen one or two. Any advice?

What product did you use to treat the possible mites problem ?

If you saw mites on her then all of your chickens are likely to be suffering from the same problem...you need to treat ALL of them with Sevin dust or Permethrin...paying special attention to under their wings and the vent areas...

In addition you will need to remove and burn all of the bedding..thoroughly spray their coop with either of the above mentioned treatment..and re-treat again in 7 days to rid the area of any hatching mites.

If you used DE..it is not effective for treating mites nor lice.

Last edited:
What are the signs of being egg bound? I assumed that she isn't from her postures but she hasn't laid for a couple days. We brought her in again to stay until she has her feathers again and stronger.

What product did you use to treat the possible mites problem ?

If you saw mites on her then all of your chickens are likely to be suffering from the same problem...you need to treat ALL of them with Sevin dust or Permethrin...paying special attention to under their wings and the vent areas...

In addition you will need to remove and burn all of the bedding..thoroughly spray their coop with either of the above mentioned treatment..and re-treat again in 7 days to rid the area of any hatching mites.

If you used DE..it is not effective for treating mites nor lice.
x2.

If she is losing feathers...do you see any "Pin feathers"..i.e. spikes...where she has lost feathers ? If so..she is having a moult (molt ) which is perfectly normal...if so..she is unlikely to lay any eggs for some weeks as a moult takes a huge amount of their energy away from them..during which time they do not lay any eggs...

Back
Top Bottom