Requesting assistance on identifying worm or chalaza

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ydml, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ydml

ydml New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Hello! I apologize in advance for burdening your forum with my layman question, but I felt that your more educated perspectives were needed in this situation. I've been searching for an answer on Google for an hour with no conclusive answer.

I fried three eggs this morning (which I like undercooked) and did not notice this until I had already consumed one. I have seen chalaza in eggs often but never long and tough like this one. I was going to report it to the store and see about telling my doctor that I may have consumed some, but I figured I'd do some research first.

I poked around at it for a while when I saw it, hoping it would just break apart like the rest of the egg, but it was very tough and springy. I left it on the table for a few hours and it shriveled up as you can see in the second picture. Please let me know if this is just a weird looking chalaza or if I need to inform the store of worms! Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] welcome - sorry for the strange circumstances. Much like you, I think that I would have stopped eating the eggs. Given that it does not quite have the conformation of a parasite, and considering the way that it shriveled/dried up, I am going to say not a parasite. Perhaps a chalaza or some other anomaly.

2 people like this.
  3. ydml

ydml New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thank you for your help! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Chalaza.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by