Requesting Big Coop Design Review!

indiechixor

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Here's more pictures: Dimensions are 10x12'. I currently have 8 hens, but incubating 12 eggs when they arrive in a few months. My idea is that I can keep the 2 separate flocks in the same coop. By separating the two sides with screening, and adding a gate, I can keep younger birds away from the older hens. I plan on adding a gutter and water catchment system to supplement during the rainy season, and adding a dripline and PVC food system.

There's an opening in the back (poop shute) and will have exit hatches on the other sides, which will empty them into 2 different covered runs. This way I can practice a type of "crop rotation", letting the grass grow back for a while depending on which side they are foreging. One of the tops area on each side will be meshed in and kept open to allow for circulation (Zone 9B, very hot summers and mild winters) With Polycarbonate Solar Roofing throughout for light. Obviously this will have exterior walls.

What would you say my maximum number of birds should be? We're on 10acres so the run will be 1/4 acre long but skinny enough to be covered.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 5.51.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Sounds really well thought out to me. I Like the idea of the two separate sides for different ages
Are the angled bars in the middle roost bars?
And your drawing is more than impressive
Thank you! I'm teaching myself 3-D design, so this was a fun project. The angled bars are roosts - I stole the roost design from someone on Insta, they use hinges and a pully system so you can clean out underneath them.

Back
Top Bottom