Requesting Duck Tips?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PoultryAddict 1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. PoultryAddict 1

PoultryAddict 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Hi!

Im not exactly new here, just forgot my password a year back and made a new account today. [​IMG]

My Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin ducklings are coming on Wednesday, (2 days from now) And my brooder is my guest bathroom's bathtub.
    On one end of the tub I have a standard metal heat lamp with a red bulb, heating up the pine shavings I have down, (?) On the other end I have a old washcloth with a standard chick waterer and heavy feed bowl on top to make sure they don't consume shavings while eating,
    and I'm feeding DUMOR organic 19% chick starter, with a min of .90 lysine.

Outside I have a 10X by 10X run with 3 chickens, and a attached bungalow coop.
    The 2 ducks will go with them.

I'm still a noob with ducks, so am I doing anything wrong?
    Thanksss... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under PoultryAddict 1 [​IMG] Welcome Back!

Sorry, I have no experience with Ducks but this is a link to the Duck Forum. The folks there should be able to answer any questions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck!

3. PoultryAddict 1

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Thanks!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome back to BYC - glad that you have re-joined the fold.

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry but, I don't like the idea of a heat lamp at one end of the tub, when water will also be present. Ducks like nothing better than to splash water everywhere . I like to err on the side of caution. Swimming in a tub (when they are old enough) is fine but, they should have a proper brooder

1 person likes this.
  6. PoultryAddict 1

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    not sure what you are picturing in your mind..lol.

The tub is bedded down with paper towles, on one end there is a heat lamp (with water and shock restiant standard red bulbs) on the other a standard chick waterer and a food bowl..The tub is'nt filled with water....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by