rerouting the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    How can I teach my chickens, guineas, and ducks to go into a new coop?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Treats...........when you want them in.take a bowl of something like rice,corn....anything you dont usually give them.......pretty soon....when they see you coming ...watch out......... let them know what you have..........and then they will follow you in........most will come into coop at dusk anyway ...........have you kept them locked up for a week inside coop first? that usually helps......

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Lock them in and do not let them out no matter how much fuss they make. After about a week the new coop will be home to their thinking and they won't remember otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how many birds you've got, but you could transfer them into the new coop at night time. If there's a pen, then let them stay in that for a couple days to become acclimated.

When I built a new coop I moved them at night. The next day they went out and about their business. the gals tried to go into the old coop to lay their eggs. I opened it and as they each walked into it I picked them up and brought them into the nesting boxes in the new coop. they caught on quickly.

Then that night the roo was circling the old coop so I opened it up and as he entered I picked him up and put him in the new coop. He understood and called all the gals into the new coop. voila! They never went back to the old coop except to use it as a shade source.

5. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Thanks so much for all the advice. Right now I have 11 chickens, 5 guineas, and 2 ducks all in the same coop. Right now they are fine where they are but I plan on getting more this spring. Thanks again, Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by